In addition to being one of the most innovative and progressive Countries in the World, Japan is also a Top tourist and vacation destination. While travelling and adventuring around Japan, many people fall in love with the Country, culture, and lifestyle so much that they decide they want to stay longer, and get a job and a work visa.

A tourist visa to visit Japan is valid for up to a 90 day stay, and to change from a tourist visa to a work visa, during that time, it requires actively trying to: 1) find a company willing to both employ and sponsor you for a work visa, 2) applying for the work visa, and 3) remaining in Japan until the work visa application is processed.

Japan has a very welcoming and relaxed Immigration system, and a shortage of skilled workers to meet the demand due to the Countries fast paced innovation and high tech growth Companies and stature (Tokyo was recently ranked the #1 most Innovative City in the World)

The 3 Step Process to change from a tourist visa to a work visa in Japan:

Step 1. Find a company willing to both employ you as well as sponsor your work visa application. When you’re on a tourist visa that gives you a 90 day time frame to complete all 3 steps. It’s best to do everything you can to try to secure a good job offer from a sponsoring company, within the first month you’re in Japan, because the work visa application process could take up to two months.

Step 2. After securing a job offer, the next step is obtain a Certificate of Eligibility from the Japanese Ministry of Justice’s Immigration Bureau. The certificate of eligibility must be submitted along with details of the job offer (proposed employment contract) and your work visa application forms. The certificate certifies that you have the required qualifications of the profession or job for which you have been offered. For a general example, if you want to work as a Data Analyst at a Japanese Company, and the Company is willing to employ you and sponsor your work visa, you still need the certification stating that you are eligible and qualified to work as a Data Analyst.

Step 3. Complete and send the work visa application forms to the Japanese Ministry of Justice’s Immigration Bureau. The Company employing and sponsoring you also needs to complete and send the employer visa application forms.

Finally, you have to wait as patiently as possible for up to two months to get the results of your application (while still enjoying your time and holiday on your tourist visa). If your application is denied (which it should not be if everything is done and completed correctly) you must leave the country before your tourist visa ends. If you are issued a work visa, it will automatically override your tourist visa and you can start your great new job on your Japanese work visa, and continue to enjoy your life in Japan.